Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Green tea muffin


It started when I stumbled upon a picture of green tea biscotti which made me mouth watering. I made a promise to myself to make one. Since then on, I’ve tried to find green tea powder everywhere, especially the big supermarket which normally sells import stuff, however at that time, I found none (last week I found one @Lottemart Gandaria City). Luckily my girl’s classmate turned out to have a Japanese father which come and go to Jkt once in every two/three months. So when his father came, he brought me a pack of green tea powder (matcha). Wow…I couldn’t contain my happiness and I promised his mom to bake something in return :-)

The Matcha
 
However due to my laziness he he he, I haven’t baked anything during the school holiday and in less than 2 weeks, I’ll be back on my daily routine (which make baking quite impossible). Since I remember my promise, so yesterday I set a target to myself, to at least bake 2 kinds of thing using Matcha by end of this week. I just completed purchasing all of basic ingredients today during my weekly groceries shopping. Too bad, I found no ready-to-eat pumpkin seeds (the ones without the skin) or roasted almonds. Anyway, after I came home, I set to prepare my baking stuff. If I wait or postpone, I don’t know when I am going to do it. So I took out my dusty oven, the weighting scale, mixer and other stuff while I was still on the mood.

Tonite, I made green tea muffin. I tried to modify my old choc muffin and since it was my first try, it turned out to be too sweet (for my taste) though my girl likes it. Next time, I gotta add more green tea powder by 1-2 tea spoons or decrease the sugar by 50 grams (trial and error he he he). It was crunchy on outside and yet quite soft on the inside. However, as a novice baker who bake once a year, I considered my first try a success (hurray to me >.<  )

The mixture
For those who would like to try it out, here is the recipe


Not bad aren't they   :-)   Lots of hole since i wanted to make sure every muffin was well baked


Green Tea Muffin (for 9 muffin cups)

You need:
2 tea spoons of green tea powder
110g of all purpose flour
½ tea spoon of baking powder
1 egg
115g of sugar
55g of unsalted butter (room temperature and mash with fork)
50ml of milk

How to:
1.       Shift green tea powder, flour and baking powder and set aside.
2.       Mix egg, sugar, and butter until soft and creamy. Slowly add the flour mixture into it and mix until even. Add milk and mix until smooth.
3.       Preheat the oven (since I use the traditional one, so I can’t give you the required temperature).
4.       Pour the mixture into muffin cup (with muffin paper cup as well) until half of the cup is filled.
5.       Bake for 40mins (medium heat) until a bit golden. Use skewer stick to check whether the muffin is well baked or not.
6.       Take it out and cool it.

Tips:
1.       Seal tight the green tea powder once it is opened and store in the fridge. If you don't have Matcha, you can use green tea (tea bag) and blend it into a powdery state.
2.       If you don’t have baking powder, use 1portion of baking soda plus 2portions of cream of tar2.
3.       If you want, you can put chopped roasted almond or choc chips or pumpkin seeds as a topping prior baking process.

And now, I’m going to have my muffin with a cup of tea (I just bought this Sleepwell tea, tastes quite good with herbal smell). Let see, whether the tea works   *grinning*


No comments:

Post a Comment