Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Newborn chicks on my girls' lunch boxes


My girls are picky and fussy eaters, they prefer to have some home-kind-meals. Beside, they take forever to finish a meal phewww. So I have to try hard to prepare meals for them (so it has to taste good for them and soft enough to chew as well). Now and then, I make cute bento for their lunchboxes. Well, I would love to have a cute bento for lunch (my wistful thinking huh) and I hope they have the same thought with me. Too bad, to create a bento needs lots of time…something that I don’t have in the early hour (we always have morning rush). At least, I manage to make a bento once a week. And for my inspiration, all credit goes to Google…it helps me a lot *grinning*


This morning I make a chick out of the hardboiled egg. This was my second try (my first was done on quail egg – too small but easier to cut). My girls were so excited…especially my youngest one. She kept chattering on how the egg…suddenly cracked and the chick inside flew right away LoL. You can go to http://eyecandy.nanakaze.net/p=459 for more detail instruction with pictures.


Well, this is the step-by-step (sorry no step-by-step pic here, my hands were quite full he he he):
1.      Boil the egg (chicken egg pls) until it is hard (not half-done with soft-n-moving yolk)
2.      Peel the outer shell until it’s smooth
3.      Egg normally has 2 ends, one is rather flat and another is a bit tapering. Cut (flat) about 1cm (not more) on the tapering end so the egg can stand
4.      Use small yet sharp knife, cut a zig-zag in the middle of the egg. Careful, otherwise you could ruin/cut the yolk as well (basically, you can feel it when your knife touch the yolk)
5.      Slowly and gently, pinch and pull the flat end and you have the chick ready for decorating
6.      I use black sesames for eyes. But you could use anything, from nori (ready-to-eat-seeweed) or olives. I use boiled carrot for the mouth (I cut it into a very small triangle) but again, you could use anything (let your imagination run wild dear)
7.      TADA….the newborn chick just cracked the shell. Isn’t it cute?

Ehm…what should I make for the next week’ bento?

No comments:

Post a Comment