Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Chinese Girl by John Baker



The Chinese Girl by John Baker


Synopsis
Stone Lewis is just out of jail and looking for a fresh start. With new tattoos on his face - they held hi down in the nick and did them for him - he looks scary enough for people to give him a wide berth. But that doesn't stop a battered Asian girl he finds in the doorway of his basement flat asking for his help. Ginny has come to Hull from California, looking for her best friend after her letters suddenly stopped. She's beautiful, she's a very long way from home, and Stone agrees to help.


Soon he's right back among the vicious city lowlife he was trying to avoid. And before long, as the terrible truth emerges, Stone finds himself surrounded by psychos and Dobermans.


I say...
The way the story unfold was pretty entertaining. I liked how the author named each chapter  *grinning*. I liked this Stone Lewis character (I was trying to figure out who would be the best casting for him...ehm...maybe Seal?). Though an ex-con with terrible outlook, but he sounded just like the simple guy next door without flattery and to the the point. Surprisingly, he knew how to write a letter ehm...(I've never meet one like that). However, the characters on the book seemed to know each other (I wondered how small Hull city was) and apparently it was a slum.


It involved lots of letters...more letters than I've imagined. After few chapters of letters from one person...well it was sorta reading a diary...really made me feel like reading one of those teen-lit books that I used to read few years back he he he. I didn't get it how an ex-con could patiently read thru the whole letters...full of girls' talk. Maybe they didn't provide much entertainment there @jail.


It had so many twisting sentences (I gotta read slowly) and slang words that I didn't understand (finally it was time to use my dict). It made you re-think what you used to believe, sorta psychology book (not my fav one although I had to admit, I was quite enjoy this one...but still not the kind which i resist to put down for a while). It was about marriage, about parental relationship, about selfishness, being mature, about the self-existence and many more. 


It was sorta detective book which ended good (bad guy would be captured one or another way). Definitely not for kids since it had lots of violence. The words used were rough, vulgar yet quite cute and sexy. It was 3 out of 5 and I would like to try reading one of his book again in the future (just wanted to know whether the author always writes his book with deep thought like this one).



No comments:

Post a Comment