Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Bourne Deception by Eric Van Lustbader



The Bourne Deception by Eric Van Lustbader (based on character created by Robert Ludlum)

Synopsis
After Jason Bourne is ambushed and nearly killed during a retreat on the island of Bali, he fakes his own death and takes on a new identity and mission - to find his assassin.

Across the globe, an American passenger airliner is shot down over Egypt by an Iranian missile, leaving the world to wonder if it was an accident or an act of aggression. As global outrage builds over the event, a joint-international tean led by Soraya Moore, a director at Central Intelligence, is assembled to investigate the attack before the situation can escalate into more violence. When Bourne's hunt for revenge intersects with Soraya's search for the perpetrators of the airplane disaster, Bourne is thrust into a race to prevent a new world war. But it may already be too late...



I say...
This is the first work that I read of Eric. Beside this, i think he wrote another 3 books under Bourne's series, however I'm not aware of the sequence. (imho) Eric can be considered successfully continuing the story of Bourne with the 'almost similar' plot and style of Robert Ludlum. 


The main idea about Iranian, oil and terrorist is a bit difficult for me to understand, since I'm not into current political issues round the world. However, I did enjoy the action. The plot moves so fast that sometime I had to re-read certain part to get a good grab of it (especially the fighting part). It would be great if this book can be made into a movie since it got so many actions that I wanted to see (reading it only gives you hints of the real action). I can imagine Matt Damon is shooting while running or giving his apologetic smile to some lady (like all those Bourne's movies).

I don't understand how Bourne (even after killing some thug...bleeding and all) could get the best help from an unknown lady...Bourne sure was lucky. Are all lady out there not afraid of blood and cleverly know what needed and what to do to fix an open scar? I envy those ladies...what school that they went anyway? Would like to enroll my girls "̮ wk°wk (′▽`) wk°wk "̮

I like how the author entwined the romance (not the steamy one but something more sweet) into the story, with the right timing and proportion as well. However, there were so many names there that I had to make a list of it (saved me since I didn't need to go back to search who was who). Anyway, I Ŀ♡√Ɛ the setting...Eric clearly spent quite sometime at Bali. The way he wrote, reminded me of years that I spent there too. I miss Bali *promising myself to search for a LCC*



At the end...Not all bad guys were down...not all good guys were safe and sound (yeah...i know...it's cliche). Bourne's forgotten identity remained as a mystery (surely another reason for Eric to write the sequel and another reason for me to patiently wait for the book). Overall, the story was interesting, since you would never guessed it. I would give 4 out of 5 for this and am looking forward for another work of Eric. 



No comments:

Post a Comment