Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My 1st Sewing project


I was supposed to publish this post first...but instead, i published the 2nd post. No problem though...but this one is about when I started to learn sewing using the sewing machine. I would like to make a car seat cover for the front seat…since I always put my girls’ trolley school bag there. And, most of the time, the wheels of the trolley leave dirt and dust on the seat. Since my car seat is not covered in leather (I hate the smell he he he) so it is quite difficult to clean it up. Therefore, I made this seat cover to protect it.
Now...driving under the scorching sun doesn't matter anymore
At first, I sew manually by turning the side wheel of sewing machine (it was such a labor work). I spent nearly 15mins only to sew about 15cm phewww…and seeing that I still had lots to sew…finally I braced myself and switched the machine on. It hums pretty loud (I didn’t know whether it is normal or not) and slowly I nudged the pedal using my toe only. It didn’t move...only the humming was getting louder. I gave up…I press lightly onto the pedal and it moved YAY….yippey….:-D

Slowly…an inch by an inch…I managed to sew the cover perfectly. Well, it was a bit messy but what the hell…it was my first time and I was so proud when I finished it (I kinda felt like a supermom who could take up any challenge LOL). And since I can sew, lots of ideas popped up in my mind..i wanna make this and that and many moreeee   :-D
The car-seat cover made from felt
So the first thing that I made after the seat cover was long sleeve gloves. I have mine, bought it from the Sox galleries... but since my skin is pretty sensitive...these sleeves feel uncomfortable and itchy. I rarely used it and now my arms have gotten some tan color compared to other parts unexposed to the sun. So, i made my mind to sew these long sleeves myself (scorching sun motivated me a lot LOL). I cut it out from my old bolster case and used simple design as well (well, an amateur couldn’t go into a complex design yet). Beside cloth, I used rubber band (for cloth – not hair).

How to:
1.      Measure the width and length of your arms (from upper arm to your fingers).
2.      Draw 2 rectangles onto the cloth (or you could make a pattern before). My dimension is 35cm x 55cm
3.      Cut the pattern
4.      Measure and cut the rubber as well. Mine is 15cm for wrist (2 pieces) and 25cm for upper arm (2 pieces)
5.      Sew the edges (the width) of both rectangles
6.      Sew the wrist rubbers onto the rectangles (about 10cm from the edge)
7.      Sew the upper arm rubbers onto the rectangles (about 5cm from the edge)
8.      Sew the edge (the length) of both rectangles

Now you have long gloves that are comfy for driving J

No comments:

Post a Comment