Monday, November 12, 2012

Handmade Ruffle Tote Bag - Another Sewing Project


Another bag that I like from www.makeit-loveit.com is the tote bag. I liked the design a lot and I thought it would be a great art-n-craft bag for my girls (hers was torn already phewww). Again, I copied the design however I didn’t follow her instruction. I used mine instead (for me…it was easier). For this project, I used my girl’s old cloth which the material and colour were still in good condition.
Pardon the mix-matching, i used any old clothes available on hand

How to (if you are confused, pls kindly refer to the detailed explanation on the above site:
Step 3 - 5

1.      I draw the design first, the outer look and the inner side. Since my girls have lots of stuff, so I want to have small pockets inside the bag
2.      I make the prototype patterns. For this bag, I need:
a.      1 zipper
b.      2 rectangles for outer and inner part with dimension of 25cm x 60cm
c.       Another 1 rectangle for inside pocket with dimension of 20cm x 60cm
d.      1 rectangle for the top part with dimension of 10cm x 60cm
e.      1 rectangle for ruffle with dimension of 10cm x 100cm
f.        2 rectangles for handle with dimension of 8cm x 40cm (you could make the length longer or shorter, depends on your design)
Step 6 - 8

3.      Then I draw on the cloth and cut it out
4.      I sew the ruffle onto the top of the outer rectangle
5.      I sew the inside pocket onto the inner rectangle
6.      Then sew the sides of inner and outer rectangles altogether
7.      Sew the bottom part properly
8.      Sew the top part onto the ruffle (to tidy up the ruffle part)
9.      Sew the zip onto the top part
10.  Sew the handle rectangle sides (the length ones) together. Do it for another rectangle. Then turn inside out
11.  Sew the handle onto the top part of the bag


TADA…now my girls have this lovely art-n-craft bag J

No comments:

Post a Comment