Wednesday, October 31, 2012

It's Halloween...BOO!

My cute Medusa girl
It's 31st of October...or well-known as the Halloween day. As usual, there was Halloween event (a parade) at my girls' school and this year, my youngest was willingly to take part. OMG...whatta change...normally I have to persuade her with various benefits LOL. Perhaps, her previous participation on fancy dress event did something good for her. So, I started to work on the theme...forget bout the Harpot uniforms...or the witches...or the vampire...or the ghost...or the pumpkin...or the fairies...or the bees. All of them were so ordinary and I bet that almost half of the participants would turn up in these costumes (and I was right...there were sea of black robes and cloaks everywhere at the school's ground, of course with the pointing hat as well). Well, nowadays, it is pretty easy to find a costume to wear, unlike 5-7years ago, when you should reserve your costume at rental a month in advance. Now, you could find the Halloween costumes at any corner of the shopping mall. But I was wondering why I didn't see any Indonesian's ghosts costume LOL
The snakes that i used for hair piece

Back to the theme...I wanted something different for my girl. And since I just read Rick Riordan's The War of Athena book, I had an idea to impersonate Ariadne, the lady spider who was cursed by Athena (according to the RR's book). I pictured it on my head, my girls wearing a black veil with lost of tiny spiders on it plus a clothes with lots of spiderwebs and spiders. Sounds awesome right? I went to shop...I drew the design...and suddenly my girl said she didn't wanna be the Ariadne...she wanted to be a Medusa instead. So I abandoned my work on lady spider and started to browse Medusa.
The initial design for Ariadne

I found it on Martha Stewart website (geez...you gotta bookmark it, this site is so resourceful), a picture of a lady with snake hairpiece. So I went malls-hopping to find small yet flexible rubber snakes. I had difficulty to find it (where all those rubber snakes go when I needed them the most?). I bought some @Toys Kingdom at IDR 29k per piece which turned out unsuitable for the hairpiece purpose (too curly and not flexible at all). My sis got another @Asemka, at IDR10k per piece but again...unsuitable since it was too big and heavy, not to mention the super length. Finally, I got the perfect snake only a day before the day...geez...I (well - actually my sis) got a dozen at IDR5k only @ITC Mangdu...whatta bargain (compared to others who buy or rent the costume).
The snake pet in its basket
Here is how I make a Medusa hairpiece:
  • Separate the hair into 2sections (ponytails) and plait it.
  • Take some bang/fringe from the right side and plait it. Fasten the end of the plait onto the left side (let it hanging on the forehead).
  • If your hair is long, then make a bun of the 2 plaited ponytails. Since my girl' hair is not long enough, I put one plaited ponytail on the top half of the head and another on on the bottom half of the head. Fasten it with pins.
  • Start weave the snakes onto the hair. You can put any number as you like. You could secure the snakes with pin as well (I didn't since I weaved it perfectly ok)
  • For addition, you could draw snakes on your face as well

The hair piece

Next, I bought this snapping snake (from Wild Republic @IDR35k) for the arm-band. I prepare a basket (adding some fake leaves and a bit of flower here and there) and I put the big and long squisshy snake inside. So my Medusa girl had a snake pet in a basket "̮˚°◦♡ώκωķ(∩_∩)◦°˚"̮  Since my initial intention was only doing the hairpiece, I didn't prepare a special costume. However, the homeroom teacher asked me to put on some suitable costume. Luckily, my girl has this long sheer flowing dress and I thought this dress was passable for impersonating Greek goddess.
The snapping snake for arm band

So there she was...my cute (not scary at all) Medusa in her pretty dress and her snake pet...doing her parade and trick-n-treat @school.

The Halloween parade @school
Ħªppy Halloween! May you all have a spooky and boo-tiful night (๑'⌣'๑)づ

Made from styrofoam balls with black paint

No comments:

Post a Comment