Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Owlie Plushie...a cute and adorable handmade soft toy

Look at my big eyes...hoot...hoot...
Lately, I’ve been so keen with Pinterest…I love seeing those lovely and pretty stuff uploaded and pinned there, including several art and craft stuffs that I found simply irresistible. And I am head over the heel on owl plushie (soft toy). I love it so much until I couldn’t contain myself and I made my own owl plushie he he he...Well, there is always an occasion called for celebration, and this time I made this for my girls because they passed their Yamaha grade exams with almost a flying mark   *yes...I am a proud mom*
The sketch and the patterns
The fabric and cloth cut out of the patterns

The first 3 steps
3rd - 6th step


7th step
The last step so the owl will be plushie he he he

Firstly, I sketched the owl as I wished. Then I made the pattern according to the drawing. I cut out the fabric (I used my girl’s old dress which was still good – I was torn between using this dress for my owl or giving it as a hand-me-down stuff to my laundry maid) according to the pattern. Then I sew it using hand. Yes, using hand…I have this big sewing machine at home however I had bad experience using it. It runs so fast that I almost sew my fingers phewww…scary. Since then on, I would never touch it and rather sew by hand (though a little bit untidy and troublesome…but I guess…I need my complete set of finger rather than anything he he he). Later on, my hubby bought me this compact hand-sewing-machine which works like a staple. However (there is insufficient manual…mind you…it’s only 12k per piece), I couldn’t use it at all. It can sew alright but the thread sewn was pretty loose and come off easily. So, until I figure it out how to sew with that machine, I was sewing my way with my own hand.
The machine that I have at home
The cheap but unworkable sewing machine

Here is the list of pattern that you might need to make your own owl plushie:
o       A set of black-part eyes (felt cloth)
o       A set of whiten-part eyes (felt cloth)
o       A beak (felt cloth)
o       The body, you could use felt or any fabric (pattern fabric looks fanciful). On my drawing, I have patterns for the upper front body, bottom front body and back body (I used different pattern for the upper and bottom front body). Remember when you cut the fabric, always give about 1cm space for sewing.
o       Ornament such as ribbons, heart, bow, wings, anything that you want
These ones serve as congratulation presents for passing their aikido exams
How to:
o       Sew together the upper front body and bottom front body. If you are using only front and back body, then you could skip this step to the next one
o       Sew the whiten-part of the eyes onto the black ones.
o       Then sew the whole eyes onto the upper front body proportionally (or according to your sketch)
o       Sew the beak onto the body
o       Sew any ornament that you wished to attach onto the owl
o       After everything is attached, then sew the front and back body together (inside out). Make sure you leave some space to flip the fabric and to fill the plushie
o       Turn it inside out and fill the plushie with polyester fiber or beanbag (or you could cut/shred unused cloth/fabric for the filler as well…use whatever on hand dear J)
o       Sew together the ‘hole’ tightly and neatly
Look! I made this cute sweet little monsters too for my girls. 

Congratulation, you just make your very own owl plushie   J   My girls love it so much that they always bring the owlie to bed (they even named it he he he)

No comments:

Post a Comment